I’m getting restless. I really, really want things to finally turn around so that I can get back on my feet and on with my life. The internet is a curse and a blessing. Finding information, playing games, and other fun stuff is a plus. The fact that you can’t get a job without applying online, and then never getting return emails, calls, interviews, or any contact in general, is a bitch. I miss the days I could walk out of a job I hated and then get a new job within a week. Granted, it’s not good for your track record, but I still miss the ability to get a job fairly quickly. In the past 6 months of unemployment, I have applied for hundreds of jobs. Some have automated email responses, such as “thank you for your interest/application with our company”. A couple actually emailed me that they had found “more qualified” applicants. One District Manager actually called me, but when I called him back multiple times he never answered. Aside from the one under-the-table job, I have had absolutely no luck. I applied for a few more jobs today. It seems like the economy isn’t that bad and that there really are many jobs available. But after this stint of unemployment, it seems like a bunch of lies. Bottom line: I’m sick of being broke. So on to the bullets.
- My trophy whoring has continued. I’m currently halfway through level 8 according to my PSN ID, with 444 trophies. Most recently I finished up Call of Duty Black Ops, hitting 100% and getting the platinum. I also ran through all of the Borderlands DLCs, and got the platinum as well, although I need 3 trophies to reach 100%. So of the 6 games I own, I have half of the platinums. Unfortunately 2 of those games are RPGs, and will take countless hours to get the platinum trophies, and I might never get them. I do draw the line somewhere, although my obsession with the shinies has continued to grow.
- More on Borderlands in a future, dedicated post.
- I recently saw The Social Network on DVD, and I must say I enjoyed it. I have a newfound understanding and respect for Facebook, and I just plain love intellectual dialogue based movies. It also had a superb soundtrack, courtesy of Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails fame. Plan to purchase this one at a later date.
- I went to the movies with Hollee on Saturday. I wanted to see The Rite. We ended up seeing The Mechanic. I wasn’t disappointed with the movie itself, but I think I would have enjoyed The Rite a little more. I’m into Horror movies a lot more in recent years, supernatural ones in particular. The Mechanic was standard action-faire, and though I enjoyed it, it was fairly predictable and ended up feeling lacking overall. More of a movie to watch on DVD.
- I’m still waiting on one W-2 in order to do my tax return. With it, I intend to fix the windshield of my car, which has a nice crack in it. I’ve already gotten a quote for $200, so I should have some money left over. Hollee is still going to fix the dent she put in my front quarter panel, so after that’s done my car will be purty again.
- With any residual from my taxes, I hope to purchase a new PS3 game. On my wish list is Mass Effect 2 (the port just released on the 18th) Dead Space 2, DeathSpank, and a few others that have yet to release. The first DLC for Black Ops is set to release in a month too, but I doubt I will have any cash flow by then. Being unemployed sucks.
- I watched the Pro Bowl on Sunday for the first time ever. I was slightly disappointed. I didn’t expect the teams to play so half-assedly, I expected a hell of a game because these are the best of the best players, and now that the Pro Bowl is a week before the Super Bowl, these are players from teams aside from the Super Bowl teams, meaning it’s their last game of the season. I went into the game open-minded, but still was disappointed. I was rooting for the NFC, and they ended up winning, so I guess it was an ok experience.
- As I mentioned in my last post, my football team is going to the Super Bowl. The Super Bowl has always been something I tried to watch, even during the few years when I didn’t really pay attention to football (2001-05 or so) due to lack of cable and other variables. In high school it was very important to me, and my team went twice during those years. Since I’ve gotten back into it, it’s been an excuse for a party, lots of food, company, and lots of beer. This year will be no exception, although instead of going to a party like I usually would, me and Hollee decided to throw one ourselves. So far we’ve had a couple of RSVPs, and I think it’s going to be awesome.
That’s about all for now. I will return with my Borderlands post soon. TTFN.